The joy of trains…

This weekend has been a wonderfully restorative three days of trains, trains and more trains. Steam, diesel, electric, travelling, watching, spotting and just absorbing the experiences…


I’m too tired to write intelligently or emotionally about how this has made me feel, or what I think it tells us about this wonderful hobby, this common interest of ours - but what I can do is share these snippets and promise to revisit them in the coming weeks once my rest has caught up with my restoration. 

Travelling to Durham on Friday meant leaving Ruabon about 10am and a crowded Transport for Wales 197 took me to Chester where a much quieter Northern 195 whisked me to Newton le Willows to pick up the Transpennine 802 that would carry me all the way to Durham. All largely on time, no problems and a lovely way to to travel and revisit memories of doing the route in the early noughties. 

Saturday we visited Carlisle via train from Durham - so a Transpennine 802 to Newcastle and a wonderful Northern 156 across the country… lots to see, two steam specials and plenty of other variety before back via a Northern 158 and another 802. What a day out!


Sunday the sun didn’t join us as we visited North Tyneside Steam Railway (or the Stephenson Steam Railway) and museum. The Bagnall was broken but no complaints for the chance of Class 08 haulage, a surprisingly inspiring journey which I’ll discuss further in the coming weeks. 


For now, as you read this I’m heading back home to North Wales, trains again, and looking forward to seeing my partner pick me up from the station and the kids at home. It has been great to spend time with friends and trains but I’m ready for my family again. 

Trains. Restorative and inspiring, fuel for my soul and a means to connect once more with who I am, why I am. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments