Scrap but still wanted…

In 1989 Allied Steel and Wire introduced their own air braked wagons for use in the Speedlink network to collect scrap from around the country and bring it to their works in Cardiff…


Paxton Road is 1990. It is Speedlink and it is wonderful place to spend time.


Ringing the changes, digging into my wagon collection and swapping the supporting actors keeps both casual visits and operational bursts fresh and always different. This pair of scrap wagons were actually Shapeways bodies with extra detail, Peco 15ft chassis and replacement wheels and buffers for fidelity. I swore I’d never build N gauge wagon kits yet have a fair few in the collection as I push up against the boundaries of what is available for us from the ready to run manufacturers.

I think it is this distilled focus and ability to keep the scene always fresh that have contributed to the layouts continued success. Other projects come and go, but Paxton Road still feels an important part of my life. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Looking at that photo I suddenly realised I don't ever remember seeing an 08 hauling freight. I know they did, but in my mind they are station pilots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t ever really remember seeing them do anything at all! Whenever I saw them they were sat in the sidings at Chester or Bristol.

      Delete
    2. They only go out after dark. But imagine this. The far reaches of New St Station in the late 70s/early 80s. There is an 08 that sits in a bay, and ventures out to bring in EWS and parcels traffic, the platform is strewn with BRUTES. It can go out in daytime because light never reaches that bit of New St. In between times the odd Cross City DMU visits...

      Now imagine that as as single turnout layout

      Delete
    3. Now that’s a layout!
      Farish even do the perfect 08 for New Street!, Spectre!

      Delete
  2. I think that photo shows off, or rather, doesn't show off, the DG couplings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that is definitely a massive benefit of the hassle of changing the couplings.

      Delete
  3. Hi James

    That photo reminded me of a visit back in 1994. I was working for a company in Newmarket and worked out that in my lunch hour I could drive near to then Mayer Parry scrap yard at Snailwell. A walk across the fields, it was July, meant I was able to photograph a Ruston 0-6-0DE shunting scrap in bogie Sheerness Steel wagons, which looked like larger versions of those in your photo. Also at one end of the site the trees and foliage were not unlike Paxton Road.

    I will dig out the photos later today and see what you think

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, the photos look great, I’ll share them with the world next week all being well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.