Imagination, inspiration and the double tuning fork…

What follows is not my usual distillation of a model, locomotive or layout. Nor is it a design idea forged in the imagination, rather it’s a reflection on the success of a project and perhaps some instruction for anyone looking to follow in its path…


Kohlenbachbrücke was an experiment and a complete success. Its intention was a self contained layout where ad-hoc simple mindful operation was the aim, rather than an extensive collection of stock or a detailed scene. Yes, the result was scenic, but that was the result of falling in love with the concept and celebrating its success.

During its construction I didn’t really place any ‘foreign’ stock on the layout except those PiChem wagons. However, in the knowledge it was moving to a new home and the little red diesel leaving I dug out my other little red diesel and my imagination fired…

What if the scheme could be recast for the Claremont and Concord?

Further, since it was designed specifically for operation and only four items of stock, could it the layout be drawn up as a set of principles that help size it for any stock, any scale?

The rules first, these I feel must be respected to ensure it fulfils the design intent:
“self contained layout for ad-hoc simple mindful operation”
  1. Only one locomotive
  2. Only four freight cars
  3. Magnetic hands free uncoupling
  4. Manual turnouts

This scheme can be recast in many different ways, the constraints should be just four freight cars (two of two types) and one locomotive. These fix the lengths of the sidings and position of the magnets.
  • A - loco and 2 cars for industry B
  • B - loco and 2 cars for industry A
  • C - one car for industry A
  • D - loco or one car for industry A, whichever is longer.
Casting this as the Claremont and Concord would result in quite a compact scheme. Two old timer fuel oil tanks, two 40ft box cars and a GE44t. A little more space and a Ballard and Wantage would see perhaps two short cement hoppers, two 50ft box cars and a SW1200/1500. 


This double tuning fork is not a new invention, nor is how I operate it (see the video to watch that) but rather, what is perhaps my take is the rigid application of stock selection to facilitate the purest of mindful experiences when playing with the result. How would you use the scheme? Could you envisage a shelf cameo in your study to fulfil the same premise? I’m about to embark on a new layout that doesn’t meet these requirements and already I’m feeling nervous about it’s operational success… it’s great to have distilled this, to have realised and recognised the source of the success. I wonder where it will take us all? Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. James, I rather like the idea of limited rolling stock and one engine. You have me pondering an O scale ( Maine On2 or a Central / South American On30) Narrow Gauge layout. Thanks for posting this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! That would be quite a bit larger than my projects to date but sounds exciting, let us know how you get on!

      Delete
  2. Jim, sorry, technical remark: This link
    https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/search/label/Kohlenbach%2520Br%C3%BCcke%2520Werks
    hidden in your post here
    Kohlenbachbrücke
    refers to nowhere.
    (Response: No results found.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting read James. Maybe the new layout you are about to start needs a bit more thinking/planning time if it's operational potential isn't enough or has changed? I've never managed to hit that sweet spot where a layout looks good (to me) but also holds my attention operationally for any real length of time. Probably why I'm always starting a new layout... Thought provoking stuff as always. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ll see what’s happening on this Friday’s update I expect. The idea that I could junk that and do a Claremont and Concord project is very strong though!

      Delete
  4. Just watched the YouTube film over breakfast, the shadows falling across the VW Caddy and the modelu figure is is very atmospheric! Also love the weathering on the chemical tanks. I always wonder whether the real tanks should be filled more carefully as I've seen pictures of them covered in whatever chemicals they are supposed to be carrying? Hopefully the chemicals aren't too toxic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - it's always a danger! That was part of the story on Kohl, it was a bit of a caricature of what we perceive Eastern Europe to have been like - which of course, I'm sure it wasn't!

      Delete
  5. I've been looking for inspiration for a 4mm layout like this, I have the industry in mind, but couldn't quite decide on he track layout, this has been a great help. Thanks James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - do watch the video to see how it works, because it might not suit everyone. The idea is its a self contained project, nothing to bolt on or add, all the stock is available together - its the distillation of the best of a small layout, in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Thanks James, have you seen the current MRJ (306)? Orfe Quay has a very similar track plan.

      Delete
    3. Yes I have, and as a layout designer I’m very aware there are only a certain number of ways to arrange track on a baseboard… this time though it is more, the balance of siding length and magnet position for optimum operation.

      Delete
  6. Hi James

    I like the way you have moved from Eastern Europe to Eastern USA. Just shows the value of your design process and the interchangeability of your ideas. A small layout with restricted stock would make a relaxing operation for when a little switching is just what is needed. I imagine you have thought of this but I would extend the spurs on the left right up to the edge of the “box” – somehow to me that says a bigger system without it being so!!! I would also not have two industries but two switching spots of a bigger industry say chemical unloading and paper dispatch in a paper mill – other industries are available!!

    Much as I like the GE 44 or 45 ton and their slightly heavier sisters, but being able to use say a SW1200 or a GP7 would perhaps add more interest ?

    Still I look forward to see how the new US project develops – I know it would be good

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem of going larger loco wise is the space… the 44t is really all that will fit on the IKEA Lack…

      Delete
    2. Hi James

      Yes I imagine you are right and if you are using cars of forty foot or less then the 44/45/50-ton would be the unit of choice

      Best regards
      Alan

      Delete
  7. I built a folding "double tuning-fork" test track in 009 many years ago.
    Based on an idea in 009 News from the early 1980s, it has a left and a right hand point, a straight and a curved siding, and a reverse curve between the two. As my take on it was to hand-lay track based on type 2 portable panels, the curve radius is around 6 inches, so it's pretty much an assault course for rolling stock!
    I eventually added scenery, uncoupling magnets and an isolating section with switch, but found proper operation limited, so I added a small fiddlestick to one end. As there's a distance between the sidings, I tend to use two locos to avoid long(ish) back-up moves, but otherwise the concept is pretty similar to Kohlenbachbrücke. It's lain idle for a while, though I may recommission it and take to the M5M50 meeting next week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this is a double overlapped tuning fork really…

      I remember your 009 folding layout, very nice it was too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.