Commission: Hudson Hunslet in 7/8ths...

It was the summer of 2021 when the last ‘batch’ of Hudson Hunslet were wrapped up and I moved onto the Ruston LB project. However, as of course I hold on to all the design work one offs are always possible, as in the model you see here…


It has been good fun revisiting the project for this one-off commission. The crisp axle box prints with their legible ‘Hunslet’ branding, the subtle curve of the ‘Hudson Hunslet’ on the radiator and the chunky character of this diminutive 20hp machine are lovely to behold. What I have enjoyed most though is breathing life into the finish. The way the washes have built up patina in the plain green finish, the way the number has faded and washed down the side, the collection of dirty oily residue around the engine, the pattern of rust on the side sheets suggesting rain water collecting around the roof supports, the worn and dirty floor in the cab, the gently hi-lighted axle boxes and buffers... its' a wonderful thing to get lost in.



"Just to let you know that I have just received the loco, and my word, she really does look absolutely awesome".

  


I have absolutely loved this commission, and a funny but fitting end to a super year of work in a massive range of scales - from Dutch N to British 7/8ths with all sorts in between including Australian 009 and North American 0n3! I will do a few 'wrap up' posts in the coming days - but in the meantime, Christmas is coming, perhaps you could gift yourself a dream model for 2024? Get in touch to discuss your project and we can work up a personal proposal and fixed price for making yours a reality. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments