Friday Update: Eight Twelve Twenty-three…

The first proper week I've been wiped by either a virus or just fatigue for thank fully a long time - but memories of long Covid symptoms that have thankfully otherwise subsided with persistent effort in the past 12 months. I found myself as mentally tired as I was physically - even thinking about model making was beyond me...


So, in some ways today's blog and evidence of progress is even more remarkable! Whilst I've had plenty of time sat in bed to day dream and absorb even more inspiration (more on that shortly) I have moved from cardboard to plastic on Leatown! If you remember, this scheme is a suburban setting in OO, a blend of prototypes yes, but drawing on my customers memories of travelling in the capital as well as postumous inspiration from the Silvertown branch. Whilst initial ideas focused upon a brick built structure on this road bridge further research turned up photos of this rather ramshackle but modellable wooden structure at Lea Bridge - so I've scratch built this model using a variety of flat and sectional styrene to capture the character and place our model firmly in the period. I plan to modify a Gaugemaster Fordhampton foot bridge to provide the ramp down - I can't remember whose range this used to be in, but it reminded me of a couple my Dad and Grandpa made and modified in the 1980s - so presume it's an old tooling?


At the other end of the size spectrum, this large scale (7/8ths - or 1/13.7) Hudson Hunslet is now ready for the paint shop after the addition of it's 'plantation' style roof. You'll notice I have also added some strengthening plates to the support of the radiator - what I love about working on these larger models is the individual character we can include and working with a customer on all the details allow us to create something really special.


The big news here though is the final replacement in regular service of my 2015 12" MacBook. This stalwart has designed more kits than I remember and two books, but now requires a new battery and probably a replacement keyboard - and with an aging chipset I figured an update could be justified! Excited to receive a refurbished M1 MacBook with larger hard drive - which already feels lightning quick, and I love just how seamless the change is - absolutely painless and I'm sat typing this on the new one and getting used to it's size. I must admit, I do prefer the design and proportions of my old one - but like my old Audi S3 it had got to the stage where my love for the physical item was surpassed by the frustration with reliability!


Yesterday I was excited to share progress I've managed on the new cameo layout 'Pont Dulas'. Whilst I had the scenic materials out I ticked off another 'must do' job on Beaverbrook and infilled the scenery up to the level of the completed modelling behind the tracks. I was lucky that I managed to blend in the shades with the grass under the tree on the left - completed many months ago! On the prototype this stretch is much much longer so an exact copy won't be possible but I hope to scratch build a few lampposts to go along the road, and this seems a good location for one - I'm trying to avoid cliche scenic clutter so otherwise it's probably complete - the variation in texture and shade more important than signs and other prototype elements in suggesting realism in this part of the layout, all 24 square inches!


I was incredibly honoured to be included in last week's Bachmann Europe newsletter - lovely too to see Paxton Road on a larger stage. The funny thing is, that blue 08 is actually a repaint of the NSE IVOR livery! Anyhow - the plug for the new book was a surprise, they've lifted my caption from Instagram almost word for word! Did you spot it?


This week though, a distinctly Scottish flavour on Paxton Road as last year's Christmas present - the provincial liveried 08761, works the latest arrival, the ICI liveried tank wagon. This small layout has continued to delight, surprise and provide a moment of solace when the world outside seems to go from crisis to crisis (this week's being our VW van starting to intermittently drop power).

I'll finish this week with a pair of 009 wagons - now you might note, these are not Ffestiniog prototypes - no, it's a Colin Ashby open (I wish I could get my hands on a few more of these) and a scratch built van (running on Ffestiniog workmans coach frames IIRC) - these models are wider than my other 009 models at 24mm - and are intended for a future project which isn't quite ready to share yet - but drawing on influences from the Irish narrow gauge, my enjoyment of Creech Bottom and a long friendship with my Planet Industrials business partner, Steve... just out of view, what's that?


So with the van broken, my plans for the weekend are a little in turmoil as Janey will need to use my car - and so hopes of seeing the Christmas Cromptons rail tour passing through Ruabon, or going to the Manchester exhibition are on thin ice! At least I'll be able to enjoy the Santa trains here in the valley. I hope you're all in better health (and spirits) than I am - normal service will be resumed soon I'm sure, but in the meantime I'll be tucked up with a Lemsip (other brands available!) and a good book. Until then, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I've seen the timings for the Christmas Crompton and I'm thinking of heading out early in the morning to see it pass through Romsey, many hours before it reaches you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connected by ribbons through time and space hey… literally.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.