Friday Update: One Twelve Twenty-three...

December is welcomed with a hard frost and -4 here in the valley, it looks beautiful but it’s incredibly cold. As I type this the heating is doing its best to keep the dog and I from turning into human and canine icicles…


Warm thoughts as I continue to enjoy my own modelling projects, and Lochdubh is beginning to spread wings, at least in my mind, beyond it’s cameo form. Two photos in today’s update show additional stock for a ‘further up the line’ project yet to even trace paper with pen. This is going to be good fun to explore, here a pair of Farish OBA for either early timber traffic or bagged fertiliser to Lochdubh grace the layout awaiting DG couplings and weathering.


Commissions of all types and sizes this week - from a ‘one off’ Hudson Hunslet (above) in 7/8ths to an 009 Mountaineer where I’ve been drawing up lining panels and custom etch artwork. Alongside Leatown has progressed to initial card mock-ups so I can begin to construct suitable structures and if things warm up today I’ll cut the wood for the cameo casework and baseboard. I love this variety, I love the fact I’m not pigeon holed as just someone who paints or weathers, or builds kits, or does layouts. I love it all, I love working with you all on whatever project you’d like me to help with. Get in touch for a no obligation fixed price proposal.

 

Beyond locomotives and layouts I’ve been assembling more a British Finescale N gauge turnouts. Whilst delicate and fragile they are beautiful, and so well designed that assembly is smooth and trouble free and my customer will receive three ready to lay examples, complete with dropper wiring, ready for his project removing the stress of a modelling deadline and giving him time to work on another kit at his leisure. I’m happy to put these together for you if you’re interested, and have ready to go prices for this sort of work so can quickly get a proposal together. Let me know if you’re interested.


Beyond the bench I was lucky enough to get a trip in to see John Wooden this week too, and whilst it was very very cold in his garage we enjoyed half an hour of running trains before retreating to the warmth of the house and a cup of tea. His Isle of Stoner is a whimsical summer holiday and somewhere I always love visiting - this time taking Linda and Prince - more on that tomorrow.


As promised, two photos of Lochdubh progress this week - as the ‘further up the line’ ideas blossom and inspired by the prototype a pair of Chivers OTAs have been sourced and assembled. These air braked timber wagons will be added to the back of the ‘new’ train (seen last Friday) on the new layout - genuine mixed trains in the 1980s, who’d have thought. This is traffic from Lochdubh only, so are detached by the train engine upon arrival as the timetable would not allow shunting en-route. However there is word that timber traffic from intermediate stations is still in OBAs, I shall see if I can find a photograph!


The kits are so beautifully tooled, the detail crisp and believable and with little flash they produce neat models I’m looking forward to painting in the coming weeks. 

Yesterday I offered a pair or industrial wagon pairs for sale, Set 1 (the ‘industry unspecific’ van and open) are still available for £40 including UK delivery. The 7/8ths Ruston LBU prototype is also now sold, so thank you for all the support in thinning down my eternally expanding collection. I’m expecting the New Brunswick Southern GP35/GP38-3 will be up for sale in the coming weeks if you fancy that…


You may have seen this already, but Steve and I are offering you all the chance to put a second (third or fourth) Victory under your tree for just £99. I’ve also done another video talking through our year and what we hope to achieve in 2024…


Wrapping up this update a shot of current progress on Pont Dulas which broke cover earlier this week. Trees are now fitted and today I’m hoping to begin in grass foundations. Similar in footprint to Lochdubh and a great tonic, but happily for you, will be for sale in the new year upon completion. I’m expecting the price to be circa £650 and I can include the trainset too, pictured here, which inspired the project for £200 (or £250 stand alone) so if you’ve wanted to own a small part of my art for your own home this might be the opportunity. Perhaps a perfect piece of 3D art to enjoy in your study, a muse to a future project or just because you love it as much as I do…

2024 will see a series of these cameos produced with an eye to creating a series to go ‘on tour’ perhaps in a more artistic setting than typical exhibitions, all ideas at present but if you are involved in a gallery or such and can help in any way do get in touch, I’d love to discuss my ideas.


I’m sorry if this feels a little disjointed this week as we’ve jumped all over the place. I still wake up sometimes pinching myself that model railways are now I make a living, thank you to all of you for supporting me through reading the blog, buying the books or commissioning me to help make your dream models. It’s an honour and I look forward, as this year begins to draw to a close in the workshop, to continuing into 2025 and all that will bring. Have a good weekend! Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.



Comments