Friday Update: Fifteen Twelve Twenty-three…

Perhaps my last full week of work this year and it’s been another busy and varied example of the sorts or projects that I enjoy the most. Scratchbuilds and kit bashes…


Whilst, if I’m honest, I enjoy all of the work I undertake, from simple weathering to full layout builds, these sorts of scratch-builds test me mentally and emotionally. Working on three simultaneously this week has been an enjoyable challenge. Gladly two look like they’ll be finished in time for my customer’s Christmas, where the third will be more thoroughly underway in the new year.


The Hudson Hunslet and the Sentinel are working their way through the paint shop, and both are now due weathering today, which will see them finished. Quite different in construction as well as size, weathering too follows a similar set of steps and methods but a very different craft, applying years of life to a 7/8ths scale model requires a heavier hand than the dainty Sentinel. Meanwhile, the road bridge and station for Leatown is taking shape and a Gaugemaster footbridge is being heavily modified to provide the access to the eventual platform. Next up on this project will be the supporting piers - followed by initial painting before this then can be set aside whilst I begin work on the layout casework in January.


Finally this week, a snap shot of where the engine and details for the 16mm Hudson GoGo tractor will come from, this Universal Hobbies die cast model is a touch overscale but I think the detail it provides is worth the incongruence. This one off build should progress to CAD work too in January, now I’ve finished sketching our the basic chassis design to ensure all the components can fit, only the battery will be located in a ‘tool box’ in the cab.


I reflected to good friend Chris this week that layout projects are like bubbles in a demijohn, as the projects mature the bubbles rise to the surface, and this week has seen the road bridge on Wrexham (Wrecsam Canolog) constructed. This example is an artful reinterpretation of the prototype, slightly recast to better sit as a scenic break. Constructed solely from styrene, it will be joined b the curious strengthening scaffold on the old second track bed before receiving some paint next week. I’m hoping the custom designed etched parts arrive before Christmas too, so that the canopy can be safely constructed in the holiday. A second DMU was also acquired this week, a Regional Railways liveried 101, perfect for an earlier period on this (and many other) layouts.


Finally, another new arrival, but one now reboxed for under the tree, a Rapido Trains 3000 cu.ft. aluminium Sodium chlorate car that was ordered over a year ago! Perhaps justification for retaining the New Brunswick Southern GP38-3 on the roster! Seen here on Beaverbrook with the HSWR/HMLX van, pictured on the blog yesterday.


I’m still taking commissions for 2024,  whilst smaller work can be fitted around larger projects if you want a larger Scratchbuild or layout it’s already looking like the summer. I am forever grateful for your continued support. Some days, I still pinch myself that I’ve managed to craft a groove in this wonderful hobby for myself to eke out a living from. Thank you all. That said, if you have a project you’d like to work on with me, now is the time to reach out and start the conversation. Every commission is different so we will work up a personal proposal based upon your requirements and I will give you a clear fixed price. Get in touch using the form on the website (in the menu) or my Facebook page where you can email me - link on the ‘Modelmaking Commissions’ page (link above). Whatever your plans I hope you have a good weekend, until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments