Friday Update: Four Ten Twenty-four...

Another week just gone, gone in a flash. A week where creativity for personal projects has returned, in part due to the departure of the last 'layout commission' of 2024 and in part, general good timing. What else has been happening on the bench this week? Grab a paned and join me to find out...

Kevin Wood photo

Talking of layout builds, one of my favourites of all time, and one I'd have built for myself was Leatown. This slice of run down London docklands seemed to not only capture my imagination, but I know many of you fell under its spell. I was delighted to receive an email from my customer, Kevin about it earlier in the week... Kevin says:

"I took Leatown to its first exhibition last weekend. It was a very low key show in Haddenham in Buckinghamshire but the layout ran very well and got lots of favourable comments, especially the backscene. One chap said he was genuinely delighted to finally see a James Hilton layout in the flesh! He had followed the build process on YouTube".

This gets to a point that I have long pondered but not really answered and that is - do some 'followers' only consume/enjoy my modelling and thoughts in just one medium? To the 'fans' there are books, video, magazines and the daily blog - but to the more casual, do they just use and enjoy one format? Not that it matters as such, but as I'm cautious to not duplicate myself too much perhaps a missed opportunity? In an attempt to 'broaden my market' / 'raise my profile' /  'spread the message' (delete as appropriate!!) I was really excited to see Rails agree to stock my three Wild Swan books - this is a great move, the potential to bring my approach to the hobby to a wider audience.


A second Companion is now in preparation and I’m excited with all of the wonderful content I’ve been able to source so far - I’m keen to feature something from South America, Africa, Asia or Australasia - if you own or know of a high quality and artful model railway inspired by those continents I’d love to hear from you!

Talking of the Companion, I received a message from good friend Chris, his copy had arrived just as he headed our railfanning on the real Dartmouth sub - in this photo he is at ‘Autoport’ at the end of the sub, but I later received photos and video of the GP38/40 pairing elsewhere on the branch. Wonderful to see, hear and experience this - where have you taken your Companion? 

Chris Mears photo

Not much visible progress on projects on the bench this week as work has been largely design and sourcing for more large scale models. The Ruston 44/48 project in 7/8ths is now in full swing, the first of the gearboxes going together to remind me of the process mid-week! These 3D printed marvels allow for a prototypical drive arrangement under the frames whilst allowing the use of the high quality 12v micro gear head motor. There are only 3 in this batch - if you want one then I have one unreserved, so get in touch to discuss options. Price is north of £1300 depending on scope and requirements of the control system.


It is ages since I did a YouTube live, but this week saw Beaverbrook back on camera and some of you joined me for a live operating session. As I say in the video it’s more about the rambling conversation than the visuals, I may try and make this a regular weekly thing as I quite enjoy the different form factor of the fixed camera monologue.


On my own bench the stock for Coalbridge Street is already largely in place but I wanted to add some ‘personal’ connections to the project. The Ballard and Wantage covered hopper is a Kadee PS2. This car is beautiful, truly a wonderful piece of injection moulding. I’ve removed the Central of Georgia markings and will add the decals to the existing finish. The brown boxcar is from Intermountain (I couldn’t find a Kadee one with the wider door) and is much poorer quality despite the additional detailing and etched roof walkway. I’ve removed the Chesapeake and Ohio markings and will repaint this dark green. The East Suffolk was a Rice concoction, and as the ‘grand father’ of the cameo seemed a lovely connection point. 


Equally (if not more) exciting is the arrival of something new and N gauge - the Graham Farish class 90! I sold my 31 earlier in the week to pay for this - Rails had them on offer! Am I planning an electrified WCML tail chaser? No - I just remember how excited I was aged 12 stood on the platform at Crewe when I saw one for the first time. Just a few years old they were ‘cutting edge’ and looked so modern… talking with James last weekend I just lit up talking about the memories and the possibilities - as well as he pure delight in owning something just because…


It will be detailed and weathered (of course) and I’m sure will turn up on layouts from time to time but mainly I just wanted to own one - whether that is for a few months or forever I don’t know - but if new cutting edge models don’t excite us when we open the box then what is the point? Getting this out connected me directly with childhood, a simpler, safer time that when viewed through rose tinted spectacles makes me feel warm and cosy (unlike the experience of train spotting at Crewe which would always leave you cold and wet). 

This weekend is the DMU gala here on the railway, so weather permitting I’ll watch some trains and get some photos - I’m also keen to cut some more of the wood for Coalbridge Street now I know where the magnets need to go… there is also a Mosslanda in the offing, but I will share more about that another time! Until next time, thanks for joining me this morning and rest assured, there will be more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. My companion has been traveling with me to work since it arrived, its a great feeling to pull up, turn the truck off and flip through the pages, especially if I end up somewhere trackside, very easy to get lost in the layouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I’m glad it sits beside you very much like mine here, although that’s the sofa, not the truck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.