Commission: Single wagon weathering…

Not every commission be massive, nor complex. Bringing rolling stock to life from a single wagon to a rake is in my opinion, worth as much as a well detailed and weathered locomotive or scenery…


Often with rolling stock it is about consistency rather than detail. You want them to blend with one another, the motive power and the railway environs. This is achieved through consistent and deliberate choice of palette and careful selection of materials. I use Humbrol enamels, the paints of my youth. They are readily available, permanent, you can mix them, thin them, re-work them for a short period and being ‘oil’ based they work well over most finishes.


This wagon has had a few extra touches too, but selected from the same colour palette. A few replacement planks and the odd chalk marking. The result, finely detailed but not shouting for attention and at a price where a rake is affordable! Whilst in this case it is just one, I am happy to offer a wagon weathering service with discounts for volume, get in touch to discuss the finish, quantity and scope. 


The model itself, a Rapido example, is a nice example of modern tooling with fine detail yet that feels robust. A nice satin finish, pleasing like a Bachmann model. 

If you’d like to contact me you can use the form in the menu (top left) but if that fails (it doesn’t like some tablets) then use the Modelmaking Commissions page, where this a link to my Facebook page whic opens in a web browser (no Facebook account required) and from there you can email me. In the meantime, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments