Preserved Single Line Terminus…

Over the summer I was doodling various ideas for single line terminus inspired ‘HiFi micro’ cameo layouts. A good friend James, suggested that I should look at his local, the Helston Railway in Cornwall…


In fact it is his sketch which accompanies this plan. Without a run around the preserved railway operates a push-pull type service over its short but picturesque route with both steam and diesel. It was, however, James’s idea that the railway could have taken a Pacer from GWR upon their withdrawal and operated the ‘off season’ trains. The sight, and sound of a contemporary GWR liveried multiple unit scrabbling for grip on the short climb out of the halt at Prospidnick… oh my word.

I’ve sketched out a couple of typical HiFi presentations of the scheme, with a touch more room it would be lovely to include more of the rolling landscape and the bridge over the railway with path to the carpark, complete with road and small stream underneath! Trees, green, summer… Green pacer too… and beyond, small stock and short trains would be the order of the day. In N an EFE Austerity and a dummy Dapol 121 or a set of Mk1 surburban coaches from Farish would look good until the Dapol 143 is released next year, in OO you can use a Hornby Peckett and an old Lima DMU - as well as the EFE Pacer… this is a project about the warmth of summer, the warmth of preservation and my love of the great British countryside. Whilst I’ve never visited the Helston line, I intend to explore it, along with the still extant Cornish branchlines before the GWR 150s are retired. 

Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Oddly, or perhaps not, I've settled on something like your concept sketch for the entrance to Gerralt Rd., though only modelling part of the platform

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, I can see how that might work!

      Delete
  2. Hi James. The Helston railway is my local line too. My cousin helped restore the brake van in the photo. I remember the brake van parked up at St Blazey looking very sorry for itself prior to going to the Helston railway. Truthall halt at the southern end of the line has been superbly restored, complete with pagoda shelter. My wife has just booked us on a Santa special in December. A trip to St Ives on a 150 is well worth it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, when I come down I shall let you know I case you’ve a chance for some time off!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.