Old photograph of East Works…

The obscure clay lines across Purbeck were rarely photographed until after the wars, so to find this example, despite its shortcomings is a real delight…


I believe this is the Black Hawthorn ‘Lady Jane’ at the buffers, the photographer being stood on the old trackbed that headed across the health to Poole bay. This headshunt allowed access to the works and the line to Ridge from the clay pits to the West of the mainline railway. Sadly our photographer hasn’t captured the original Clay wagons that must have been in use at this time, but we’ve records and a few photographs already on file. Lady Jane only worked here for a few years so it is an important visual reminder of the way our railways are changing all the time. 

East Works was my second 009 essay inspired by the clay workings on Purbeck north of Corfe. Whilst no longer in my ownership the layout survives and is enjoyed to this day. Back home later today so normal service will resume later this week. Until next time, more soon…



Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Very atmospheric James. I always liked this layout. I visited the Corfe area only a couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, yes it was a stepping stone to where we are now but also a turning point. I hold it very fondly in my memory…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.