Commission: Plantation trio…

It has been a few weeks since these locomotives were completed, this trio of plantation narrow gauge models are all based around Fourdees examples…


Left to right we have a RTR ‘Joan’ that has been repainted and weathered, a kit ‘Mossman’ and a RTR ‘Atlas’ - all similarly finished in a consistent ‘locomotive green’ (SECR the tin says) with solebar footplate edge in yellow. Equally, each has a Modelu crew and has been lightly weathered.



  

The works shunter is this small ‘Bundaberg Fowler’ style locomotive, that utilises the superb but now unavailable Quarry Hunslet from Bachmann for its chassis. Viewed in isolation it feels quite burly but compared to Joan, she’s a tiddler.



  

The Peckett Atlas is based upon similar examples built for service in South Africa. She was green already so just needed touching up, the yellow stripe adding and sealing with satin lacquer before weathering. 



  

Surely the star of the show is the impressive Joan, I repainted the ready to run model in the same green and added the various embellishments before sealing and weathering. She really is quite massive compared to the other pair, but as the prototype is 2’6” rather than 2’ it isn’t surprising. She’ll look great hauling the mainline trains on my customers future layout.

Bringing this set together has been great fun, they’re actually destined for service on a layout scheme I created a few years ago ‘Peurto Bella Sugar’. The cane bins shown on Friday’s update are also headed for this project - which I may be helping Alan with next year. Time will tell!

If you have a project in any scale or gauge, from simple weathering to complete scratch-build get in touch for a no-obligation fixed price proposal. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Yes I am very pleased with these - you have given them a company look which I appreciate. Having the touch of yellow on the frames will tie them into the yellow and green diesels I hope to have. That will be similar to the Mulgrave Sugar Milling locos. The first Australian sugar locos I saw back in 2003

    Looking forward to seeing the sugar boxes in due course and see them running when I sort out my micro layout. Even more so looking forward to working with you on Puerto Bello Sugar Mills layout sometime in 2025

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.